Transfering to Tivo 2 dt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfering to Tivo 2 dt

I am transfering my lifetime membership from a Tivo 1 to a Tivo 2 DT. I still have shows on my Tivo 1 That I want to watch. Can I activate the new Tivo 2 but use my Tivo 1 on a different TV without activation and still be able to watch the shows? Thanks for any help I can get on this subject!!

Yes, you should be able to do that. Virtually all Series1 TiVos can be used without a subscription, with minimal functionality.

Comment

I just transferred service from my Sony Series-1 (SVR-2000, I think), which I activated Dec 2000, to a new DT series-2 using a promotion they had early this summer. The promotion was an 80 hr dual tuner series-2 for $299 and lifetime service transfer from any existing unit. The going rate for the same unit without service was $99, so they are essentially charging $199 for the lifetime service transfer. It seems that is similar to other lifetime service transfers they have offerred.

After the transfer the Series-1 is almost unusable. Whenever pressing the TiVO button it puts up a message saying it requires activation. You can click through it, but it is annoying. It also clutters the Messages list with constant reminders to activate. Also annoying, but not critical.

The Tivo will no longer pick up any program guide data. It can not show you what is on now or display the Guide. All it is capable of is changing the channel through either the channel up/down buttons, or direct channel access via the number keys, and access to the Now Playing List for already recorded programs. There is no way to get it to record anything new. It does pause and rewind the live TV buffer.

I am on the phone with Tivo now trying to get them to give me the 1 yr service that I have heard is available if you pay for the lifetime service transfer. It's not easy to get them to do this.

Comment

When you have no service on a Series1, the only functionality that you should be getting is the ability to record by time/channel manually...certainly no guide data.

Comment

Working...
        X