I think I need a new HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I need a new HD?

I recently inherited a Philips HDR612 (Tivo newbie). I was able to get it set up, reprogrammed, etc. However, I am getting stuttering, pixelating and freezing when watching live TV, and also menus on the Tivo screen sometimes take a long time to clear, sort of freezing for 10-15 seconds.

From looking at the forums it seems it's either poor cable signal or a failing hard drive. I have a booster in the main cable switching area that the cable guy put in, and the signal seems fine with the Tivo switched off, so I don't think it's signal strength. Also, it happens whether I use the s-video or RF cables. So that would leave the hard drive, I assume.

I am handy enough to install the kit, but if I install the drive and it turns out not to be the problem, I assume I can still return it?

Thanks for any thoughts from all you veterans...

If you're getting the freezing even in the menus, you almost definitely just have a bad drive. We do take returns - full info on returns is here.

You can find kits for your HDR 612 here:

http://www.weaknees.com/hdr1.php

Be sure to get a replace kit.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes, the unit will just sit there for some time after I've chosen an option, then eventually will move again. Thanks for the reply--I will be ordering a new drive.

Comment

Just wanted to say I have installed the new hard drive in the unit, and it is working perfectly. Installation was simple, your instructions were crystal clear, and the new drive is completely silent. Thanks again.

Comment

Glad to hear it!

Comment

I have a DirecTV Series-2 Hughes, HDVR2 that's exhibiting signs of HD failure (pixilation, stopping, etc.) It's only happening in the 'lower channels' (locals). I can't seem to access the disk (I get a "Doesn't contain a valid partition table")... worse, I'm under the gun to get it working again with an angry wife...

ANYHOW - I'm pretty cyncial from all the 'simple fix' claims I've been seeing in the past few days:

If I get the REPLACE kit for my Hughes, I only have to put it in place of the one I've currently got in the machine and be up and running again, the only work I have to do is redo all my settings, season passes, etc.?

Bill

Comment

That's basically right - just new settings.

But if you only have problems with locals, that could be a tuner issue. If you rewind and watch the same show again, do you see the same problems?

Comment

I can't speak to whether your problems are the same as mine--mine happened on all channels, not just local ones. But I can say that mine's been fine since I put the new disk in.

Comment

Hmmmm...I posted this problem on another TIVO site, receiving no answer, so I'm making a guess to the problem thanks to what material I've read across the various sites. Thanks for actually answering me.

The problem seemed to start on our local ABC station - channel 8 and was the only one affected, then the wife mentioned that the show she records off of CBS channel 3 was doing the same thing and I noticed that other local channels were doing this. It DOESN'T seem to be affecting the "high" channels that we watch (Food Network, HGTV, SciFi, etc.). I'm not sure I could determine exactly if the same parts of the recorded show are the same each time. I do know that I record a SciFi show each week and have never seen a problem.

If I do a cold reboot (cycle the AC power) it seems to cure the problem for a short time (less than a day).

So, judging from the looks of the circuit board, I guess if it's the tuner that's a problem, I'm talking a new TIVO.

Comment

Working...
                  X