Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Tuning Phenomenon

Today, something weird happened:

1) This morning, I scheduled several shows via the iPad TiVo app.
    2) I changed the channel on both tuners using the iPad TiVo app.
    3) I left for the day (with no one in the house).
    4) When I returned this evening, no shows were being recorded, and the tuners were on the same channel I had tuned into earlier this morning (see #2).
    5) The TiVo Recording History (within the To Do List) showed that the first show scheduled was "not recorded because someone prevented the tuner from changing to the correct channel." The subsequent shows were "not recorded because the tuner was unavailable. Consider restarting the TiVo." (Both reasons I had never come across before.)
    6) I was able to change channels myself with no problem.
    7) Programs scheduled after this were tuned into and recorded with no problem.

It's almost as if the tuners were stuck, and would not change to record scheduled recordings, but became "unstuck" when I manually changed the channels. Any suggestions?

I haven't had the experience - if you've change a channel with the iPad app, and the TiVo needs to change a channel later for a scheduled recording, will it ask you via the iPad app to allow the change?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      I haven't had the experience - if you've change a channel with the iPad app, and the TiVo needs to change a channel later for a scheduled recording, will it ask you via the iPad app to allow the change?
      The TiVo will, as usual, asks you itself (via the television screen) if it may change a channel on one of its tuners. The iPad TiVo app doesn't really relay such info on its screen--I don't think the TiVo even gives it that info--just as it can't stream content from the TiVo to itself (as if!). You can use its remote feature to control the TiVo like an actual remote, and you can view your programs and your To Do List, and schedule recordings off the Guide.

I think something (the iPad app?) caused the tuners to get stuck at a particular channel, refusing all attempts to change it from the TiVo. Once I manually changed the channel, the problem went away.

Comment

Sounds like a bug with the iPad app interaction. My assumption is that it was locked into waiting for a response from the iPad app, and without it, it refused to change channels.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Or a short CableCard outage, suggested TiVo CR, from their experience with similar issues. I do lend some credence to your suggestion of an interrupted remote command, nonetheless, since that was the last thing done on the TiVo before the lockup.

Comment

Working...
          X