TiVo HD dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo HD dead

One day my TiVo HD (TCD652) was found nonfunctional. The lights were off, the fan was not spinning, the hard drive was not spinning, and there was no video (black screen). I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in. The front lights flashed once and went out. The fan and the hard drive do not spin. There is a faint high hum from the PSU. If I unplug the unit and plug it back in, the same thing happens consistently--the front lights flash once and go out, and a constant hum eminates from the PSU.

I tried disconnecting the mobo and the HD, and the same thing still happens when I plug the unit in. Looking inside the unit, I do notice that the ethernet light flashes as well and then goes out.

Possibly coincidentally, I began using a WD expansion drive a month ago with the TiVo HD. The expansion drive appears to work fine.

I've tried different cords and outlets.

I suppose I should start by replacing the PSU?

No guarantees that it will work, but I'd start with a power supply. If that doesn't help, the unit is likely not repairable.

Comment

So I installed my new PSU from Weeknees. Initially it booted up fine. Then I rebooted with the WD expansion drive connected and it hung at the power up screen. When I rebooted yet again without the WD expansion drive, it worked fine, though I had to reformat the drive given the loss of the expansion drive. But now my TiVo HD is back in working order.

Which makes me believe that the WD expansion drive caused the demise of the PSU.

So let this be a cautionary tale. Opt for an internal drive expansion kit if you can.

thanks Weaknees!

Comment

Working...
      X