No announcement yet.

Replaced HD, how do I upgrade software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced HD, how do I upgrade software?

I recently (a week plus) replaced the hard drive in my R10 series 2 DTV Tivo. The old drive was starting to act up (freezing, etc). I had a HD that I ordered about a year ago to have in case of a failure but never went ahead with the replacement until just now.

The question I have now is how to get the software updated to the most current version. The reason I noticed that it wasn't up to date is when I went to record something and it wouldn't allow me to clip a program.

Under System Information it shows the software version as: 6.1-01-2-521

I went to phone setup and "Connect to the DVR service now" thinking this would get any updates available. It successfully connected and went through a download, but the software version did not change.

It's connecting regularly via phone with no effect. I called DTV and they told me I had to buy a whole new unit because you can't update the software and they're (hard drives) not designed to be replaced, blah ,blah ,blah.

I don't trust what they're telling me, of course.

Any ideas on what I can do to get the software updated? Does having the rather old HD with old software on it make this impossible at this time?

Thanks

Basically, DirecTV now tracks which units have what software, and you only get a new version once. So you can wait until something newer than 6.4a comes out, and your unit will get it, or you can get a drive with 6.4a on it and install it.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      Basically, DirecTV now tracks which units have what software, and you only get a new version once. So you can wait until something newer than 6.4a comes out, and your unit will get it, or you can get a drive with 6.4a on it and install it.
      Thanks, that would explain it. I don't really understand why though. Why be stingy with a software download? I suppose it has to do with trying to dissuade people from doing their own equipment fixes/mods, hoping to get sales of new equipment. Gotta love it.

Comment

We really don't get the reasoning either. Standalone TiVos don't have this problem.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X