Lifetime Service Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetime Service Transfer

I have a Tivo Series 1 that I bought Christmas of 2000. I had read on a Forum that owners of Tivos that are older than 7 years could transfer their service to a new box. When I go to the Tivo Website, there is no mention of this.... any truth to this?

There was a date when TiVo made the switch from lifetime of the owner to lifetime of the unit. If your unit was subscribed before that date, they generally let you transfer once for free. You should call them to see if you qualify.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Were you able to find any info on transferring service? I also have a series 1 that is more than 7 years old with lifetime subscription, would love to be able to transfer to new unit! Thanks
      MIKE

Comment

The cutoff date was January 2000. As a general rule, if you purchased service before that time, you can transfer. If you purchased after that time, you can't.

Comment

Are there any components I can add to this unit to make it more HD compatible? Its a Philips Standalone model HDR31204. It really only has composite connections on the back of it. It works with my new LCD, just don't get the best picture.
          Also, Philips doesn't even list this model on their website for support. Can I follow the series 2 guide for the best hookup scenario? Seems to have the same connections on the back?
          THANKS!

Comment

Right - the unit is pretty old, and I think it's off Philips' radar screen. There's really no way to get HD at all into that unit.

Comment

Another way that you used to be able to do it was if you bought a unit from Best Buy and got BB's service plan. I was able to do this twice on the same service plan.

I have no idea if they even do this anymore, however.

Comment

I don't think Best Buy can pull that off anymore . . .

Comment

Seems you were right, michael, about the lifetime transfer. However because I have a current life subscription on my series one, I guess I can get new lifetime service on a new unit for $299. Discounted under multi account deal. Does this limit where I buy new unit from? Do I need to buy a new one from Tivo.com or weeknees? Or can I buy a new one on say Ebay, and still set up the lifetime at the discounted price. THANKS!

Comment

We know TiVo's work, and we know ours work. eBay - always impossible to know.

To the best of my knowledge, the unit needs to have never been activated before to qualify for the $299 deal.

Comment

Working...
                    X