Dead Tivo HD, power supply question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Tivo HD, power supply question

Tivo HD rebooted itself the other night and is now stopped at the "Almost there" screen. Since I have a lot of programming that I want to save, I don't want to give up too fast. Let me throw out my debug so far, and let me know if anyone can definitely pinpoint my problem.

Un-hooked everything except one composite video cable. Tivo boots to the "Powering up" (PU) screen for 90 seconds. I can hear normal head movement coming from the hard drive. The front green LED is on. After 90 seconds the screen blinks gray a few times and up comes the "Almost there" (AT) screen. More head movement from the hard drive for 30 seconds, then quiet. Nothing more for 12 hours, till I un-plug.

Pulled the drive, WD 1600 SATA. Plugged it into a PC with the WD diagnostic tool booted off of CD. Ran the short test, 4 minutes 20 seconds, no errors.

Tivo booted without hard drive goes to the PU screen for the 90 seconds and then goes to a gray screen and stays there.

Returned the drive to the Tivo and booted up. Measured power supply with an accurate Fluke meter. Got 3.32V, 12.10V, and 4.92V at the power supply. The fan connector with fan un-plugged give 11.91V.

Could the 4.92V on the 5V rail cause my problems?

Is my OS corrupted?

Is the motherboard toast?

Are there any other tests I should run?

Thanks,

Do you have access to another TiVoHD? If so, you can try booting the drive to see if it gets further; that will tell you whether the drive is good. We have seen PU-->Gray screen...and it we have seen it be corrupt software or a bad drive.

Comment

Don't have another HD, just a Series 2. The PU to gray was without the hard drive. With the hard drive it goes from PU to a flash of gray, then to Almost there...

Comment

Sounds like a bad drive to me, most likely. So that's the best place to start:

http://www.weaknees.com/s316.php

It could be a power supply, but those are harder to get . . .
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          Sounds like a bad drive to me, most likely. So that's the best place to start:

http://www.weaknees.com/s316.php

It could be a power supply, but those are harder to get . . .
          Why are the Tivo HD power supplies harder to get? Mine failed recently and I can't find a replacement anywhere.

Comment

We just don't have a good supply of replacements. We had stock at one point, but we burned through them.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X