just upgraded my Hughes Directv/Tivo SD-DVR40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just upgraded my Hughes Directv/Tivo SD-DVR40

just upgraded my Hughes Directv/Tivo SD-DVR40 and it has powered up but I have no lights on the front of the box and the remotes don’t work, what do I do?

Do you get any video out? If not, you may have a bad power supply, but you should check the white, flat cable that connects the motherboard to the power supply (carefully - and with the power off!). If you see any parts of the silver connectors, then the cable needs to be pushed back in.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I am having a similar issue. My drives recently failed so I put the original drive back in to the wife and kid could still watch TV while I hopefully can duplicate the failing dives. While booting after installing the original drive it was acting very abnormal and it started to smell like burning electronics. Suddenly I saw the white cable was crooked, half way out of its connector. I immediately pulled the power and corrected the issue, and now it boots fine however, now the power light is very dim and my remote doesn't work anymore.

Do I need to replace the power supply as well or have a done more damage?
      Last edited by toddaa; 09-30-2008, 03:48 AM.

Comment

That sounds like #7 here:

http://www.tivopedia.com/tivo-remote...leshooting.php

We can fix that for $99. To do that, start with the $99 charge here:

http://www.weaknees.com/repair_charge.php

Comment

Any chance you can tell me which resistor so I can take a look with a meter before going down this road.

Comment

I don't remember offhand, but I feel like it's marked "31."

Comment

Similar problem

I'm having a very similar problem. I just replaced the drive in my Hughes series 2 directv tivo. Plugged it in and had no lights on the front panel, although it seemed to be going through the startup OK. When it wanted me to press select, my remote and the front panel didn't work. I took the cover off again and found that the flat ribbon from the motherboard to the front panel had come completely off. I got it put back on (and checked the cable from the power supply to the motherboard) then started over. This time the lights came on, but the remote still didn't work. I can press "select" on the front panel and the unit responds, but it doesn't recognize the remote at all. What should I look at next?

Comment

That's the same burned motherboard issue. We can repair it for $99 if you send us the box, or you can try your luck with a soldering iron and parts if you have the inclination.

Comment

Working...
                X