Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not recognizing 2nd hard drive

I have Tivo Series 2 Model TCD 540040.

Last November I bought a second hard drive (Seagate 160GB)from here w/ fan and added it in my Tivo. Everything worked great and I loved the capacity. Then in December the video started freezing periodically. I disconnected the new drive and still had the problem so I figured the first drive was bad. Ordered a new replacement drive (WD 80GB) and installed it. Ever since then I don't think it was recognizing the 2nd drive. It was definitely not recording as many shows. Now that the new Fall season is around the corner, I'm finally getting my butt into gear and trying to fix this.

I checked the System Info and it says I have "up to 85 hours". I should have a lot more that that right?

Here's what I have:
    Tivo Series 2
    Model TCD 540040
    Software: 8.3-01-2-540

Drive #1
    Western Digital WD800 (80GB)
    Jumper accross pin 5&6 for "Master w/ Slave Present"

Drive #2
    Seagate ST3160212ACE (i think that's the model#) (160gb)
    Jumper : no jumper = Slave

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Right - you need to use these instructions to add the older B drive to the current A drive:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com

Or, if you'd like to send us the drives, we can prep them. Contact us at [email protected].
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

So I don't need to touch the A drive right? Just redo the B drive as if it were a new blank drive.

Why doesn't the B drive work? I bought both from you guys within 2 or 3 month of each other. Does the B drive actually recognize the A drive it is installed with?

Comment

Actually, both the A and the B drive need to be in a PC at the same time for the space to be recognized.

The tool that TiVo puts on drives to make extra space recognized on a properly formatted B drive gets wiped out with a larger-than-factory replacement A drive, so we have use different tools to "marry" the drives.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the info. worked great.

Comment

Working...
          X