Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering directv and tivo thru weaknees. What are the steps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering directv and tivo thru weaknees. What are the steps?

Hi, first post.

I currently have cable and a series 2 tivo(not lifetime), but I'm considering to change to directv and get a directivo box. If I can still do that, I have quite a few questions.

1 - After looking at this page http://www.weaknees.com/directv-tivo.php I got a little confused. Do I have to buy a Hughes HDVR2 if I'm not already a directv customer?

2 - Is the Philip DSR708 a refurbished unit only?

3 - Aside from the 'recently deleted' menu (that will hopefully be added next year) what other menus will I be missing? Meaning in what ways are the directivos different from series 2?

4 - Will I be able to add my own hard drive to a directivo like I did to my standalone tivo?

5 - Will the remote be like my current remote (peanut)?

6 - I can put a phone line for the original setup, but how about for the updates? Will the tivo part get them(updates) from the satellite or will I have to hack a network connection (that I currently have but don't use much except for the updates)(it will be a pain to run a permanent phone line and I'm also considering dumping the line and going for naked dsl).

7 - How much will the directivo cost for the tivo part(monthly)? How about additional standalone tivos?

8 - Will Weaknees be able to sell, sign me up for and install directv and a directivo at once? Or do I have to first get directv and then ask them for a card for the directivo?

9 - Is there a petition going on for Liberty Media to throw itself into Tivo's arms and promise never to cheat again? I know, I know... they just met. But it wouldn't hurt for them to understand they need each other like Intel needed MS. Take your guess.

10 - Enter the question that you think I should have asked here.

Thanks

PS. I just realized that my title (question 8) got lost in the middle of all the other questions.
    Last edited by Paulo; 08-25-2007, 02:38 AM.

I'm glad I asked first....

Comment

What makes you say that? I'm considering the same thing...

Comment

HI--We're really sorry for the delayed response to this. We take DIRECTV installations and new subscribers very seriously and wanted to answer your long post thoroughly...somehow in the process it got lost in the shuffle. Here goes:

Hi, first post.

I currently have cable and a series 2 tivo(not lifetime), but I'm considering to change to directv and get a directivo box. If I can still do that, I have quite a few questions.

1 - After looking at this page http://www.weaknees.com/directv-tivo.php I got a little confused. Do I have to buy a Hughes HDVR2 if I'm not already a directv customer?

--You should be purchasing from the NEW DIRECTV SUBSCRIBERS page, here:

http://www.weaknees.com/dtv_new_system.php

You will get better prices as a new subscriber.

2 - Is the Philip DSR708 a refurbished unit only?

--The DSR708, like all DIRECTV TiVo units, are no longer manufactured. Our supply comes directly from Philips, and come with a full warranty from us.

3 - Aside from the 'recently deleted' menu (that will hopefully be added next year) what other menus will I be missing? Meaning in what ways are the directivos different from series 2?

--Really, the main difference is the absence of networking and the features that come from that. The menus and other functionality are otherwise essentially identical.

4 - Will I be able to add my own hard drive to a directivo like I did to my standalone tivo?

--Yes, or we can do it for you.

5 - Will the remote be like my current remote (peanut)?

--Yes.

6 - I can put a phone line for the original setup, but how about for the updates? Will the tivo part get them(updates) from the satellite or will I have to hack a network connection (that I currently have but don't use much except for the updates)(it will be a pain to run a permanent phone line and I'm also considering dumping the line and going for naked dsl).

--You need a phone for the initial dial-in and you are strongly encouraged to use a phone line thereafter, but it is not required for the unit to function. It is also very easy to get a phone jack where you don't have one already--see the wireless modem jacks here:

http://www.weaknees.com/modem_fix.php

7 - How much will the directivo cost for the tivo part(monthly)? How about additional standalone tivos?

--DIRECTV charges $6/mo for the TiVo service, but it is free/included in several DIRECTV programming packages. Additional DIRECTV TiVos incur no DVR fee--the fee from DIRECTV includes all DIRECTV DVRs in your home. Standalone TiVos (without DIRECTV) get service from TiVo and you'd have to pay for that service separately from TiVo should you also want non-DIRECTV DVRs.

8 - Will Weaknees be able to sell, sign me up for and install directv and a directivo at once? Or do I have to first get directv and then ask them for a card for the directivo?

--Yes. We do it all! Free installation, free dish, etc.

9 - Is there a petition going on for Liberty Media to throw itself into Tivo's arms and promise never to cheat again? I know, I know... they just met. But it wouldn't hurt for them to understand they need each other like Intel needed MS. Take your guess.

--If you find the petition, we will sign it in ALL CAPS AND BOLD.

10 - Enter the question that you think I should have asked here.

--Again our apologies for not dealing with your post sooner. I am confident that you'll find no other place to get DIRECTV DVRs for new subscribers at a better price.

Thanks

PS. I just realized that my title (question 8) got lost in the middle of all the other questions.

Comment

Working...
        X