Dual Tuner missing basic cable channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Tuner missing basic cable channels

I have a Tivo brand TCD649 which I upgraded with a kit to add additional storage. The extra storage worked great, but the problem below started a few weeks later. I'm sure this is not related to the upgrade, but since I voided the warranty - I'm not sure what to do.

I use a cable box for premium channels - so I have the input signals split - the cable from the wall is split to the cable box and the tivo RF input and the output from the cable box goes into the tivo composite input. This setup worked well for over a year until a few weeks ago. We have a second tivo (same kind) in another room using the same setup with no issue.

The issue is that the tivo will suddenly only record basic cable channels on one tuner at a time. For example:

- If one tuner is viewing a premium channel (via cable box), the second tuner can be set to any basic cable channel successfully.
    - However, if one tuner is viewing a basic cable channel - the second tuner cannot also view a basic cable channel. The second tuner will get the blue screen.

I thought perhaps the spliced cable was causing signal degragation or some other issue, but I don't think this is the case because the problem seems to be unit specific - meaning it occurs in both our upstairs and downstairs rooms. However, I've tried setting up our second tivo (working) in both rooms and it works fine in both rooms with the same cables, configuration, etc.

I also cannot narrow the problem to either the coax or the composite input. When I test using only the coax input (no cable box) the basic cable channels are visible (on one tuner of course). And when I test the reverse scenario (using the cable box inputs to composite, but no coax RF input) I can also see the basic channels on one tuner. So I don't think that either input hardware is faulty.

I have also tried re-running the setup guide, restarting the tivo several times, and even a full erase everything reset. No luck.

At this point - I'm guessing this must be a software or hardware failure preventing the basic cable signal from being "split" inside the tivo so that both tuners can read it simultaneously. However, I am out of ideas of anything else I could try. Any thoughts greatly appreciated - as I have a feeling I'm stuck buying a replacement unit if I want two basic cable tuners.

A couple of questions b/c this is really strange.

Did you do an add drive kit or a replace drive? (I think the kit is unrelated, but I just want to know.)
    What happens when you take the composite output from the cable box and run it directly to the TV?
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Working...
    X