Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future Without Cable Card Support

Hello,
    This thread should exist for all TIVO boxes using cable cards. I'm posting here because I own three (3) Bolts (1 TB and two 14 TB from WeaKnees).
    When I moved to Chicago, two CATV systems supported cable cards. With the FCC no longer requiring cable companies to support cable cards, the number of companies in Chicago supporting NEW customers with TIVO is down to one (Comcast). (RCN no longer supports new customers needing cable cards.)
    I'm wondering and hoping a solution to this is possible. For exa, simple:
    1. We, the people, get the FCC to restore the cable card rules. (It is on TIVO and us to have let the FCC drop this requirement.)
    2. Create a technical solution to this problem. For example, Would it be possible to create an IPTV to CATV converter box? This box would allow a TIVO box (e.g., Bolt or Edge) to connect to the new streaming system(s) and fully function.
    3. I don't have a third solution, but maybe you have one.
    I'm hoping TIVO and others can find a solution before we lose TIVO box support completely.
    I'm not talking about the 4K TIVO stream device that connects a mobile device to your TIVO because it doesn't include what you get from a cable card connection (e.g., channels with multiple tuner support, etc).
    What is it I love about TIVO:
    • Freeze frame
    • Step
    • Slow Motion
    • Hundreds to Thousands to Tens of Thousands of save video. My 14 TB Bolts can record and hold both the summer and winter Olympics, plus the regular TV shows I enjoy watching without having to delete an episode or minute of the Olympics.
    • Watch up to six (6) channels at a time, with 30 minutes saved for review.
    • I'm sure I'm missing others. What are the reasons you feel TIVO is better than streaming?
    I suspect it is too late to make cable cards an election issue in 2024, but what about 2026 and 2028?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by bmoshier; 06-27-2024, 12:26 PM.

I was glad to find this thread. I have used TV for many years, and like you, I have upgraded Tivo Roamio Pro as my main unit, and a bolt that runs off of it in my bedroom. Unfotunately, Spectrum Dropped support focable cards in Birmingham, and ATT Fiber optic cable has recenly announced the same plan next month. Any idea how to get TV in to my Roamio down the line?

Comment

You could try Verizon FiOS. I believe they are continuing to support CableCards.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
      X