RCA DVR40 Rebooting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCA DVR40 Rebooting...

I have an RCA DVR 40 (DirecTV) which I upgraded to a 250gb hard drive from WeaKnees back in February. Last month, it started rebooting and/or locking up frequently. It also seemed to be running quite hot (over 50c). I took the cover off an used an air compressor to blow a bit of dust out of the unit and temporarily, it seemed OK, but the reboots came back a week or two ago. A few days ago, it overheated (it was *very* hot), displaying the overheat message.

Upon opening the case I found that the fan was not running with the unit plugged in. I pulled a spare fan I had from a computer and installed it (although it's a little too big) and the unit now runs between 38-41c.

Unfortunately it is still rebooting frequently, with three separate reboots this evening alone. The reboot/lockup problem may be worse than before.

Could this be the power supply, possibly damaged by the heat, or is this likely to be the drive (which was new in Feb)? Thoughts?

Thanks... Eric
    Last edited by Eric379; 10-10-2007, 10:42 PM.

That's almost definitely the drive - it could have been damaged by the lack of airflow. Did you get an extended warranty from us on the drive?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      That's almost definitely the drive - it could have been damaged by the lack of airflow. Did you get an extended warranty from us on the drive?
      Michael:

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid you were going to say that. No, no extended warranty. Before the overheat, the temps were in the 50c range, though. The strange thing is that the lockups started before the fan quit, but I suspect the fan may have been dragging for a while keeping the unit hot, but not overheated.

I'll have to think about whether it's worth replacing the drive, and the fan, and maybe the power supply... Especially when I'm thinking about going back to cable. Hmmm...

Comment

Right - not an easy call. It does sound like the power supply may be the root of the problems here, and that may have caused drive and fan failures.

If you're thinking of going to cable, there's a $200 rebate on the Series3 TiVo right now.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X